This is our favorite question! There are a number of great reasons that separate us from everyone else.
1. We offer a 30 Day money-back guarantee (no one we know does).
2. We make weekly visits to your school. Others don't, or if they do, are unreliable. No matter what you may need, we'll be there each week to take care of you.
3. Any reputable company runs a credit review - at Kincaid's, you can avoid this by simply providing a major credit card (not a debit card) when renting.
4. You spend less to get started at Kincaid's than anywhere we know of, when comparing apples to apples.
5. We carry more name-brand instruments than anyone around. With Yamaha, Conn-Selmer & Jupiter instruments among others, you can know that the instrument you rent will help your child be successful.
6. Apply payments toward an intermediate (step-up) instrument, which you can also rent until you own it! No one around offers intermediate instrument rentals, let alone applying payments toward it!
7. We're here to support you, your child and your director every step of your musical journey.
If you'd like to get started, rent your instrument today!
While our program is not technically a rent-to-own program, it functions in much the same way. 100% of your timely Monthly Rental Rate is accumulating as credit toward the ownership of your instrument (the Maintenance & Replacement and tax do not). You can pay the remaining balance at any time while you're renting and own the instrument, or you can own it after your rental credit accumulates to the purchase price of the instrument.
There are three main ways you can get the instrument back to us.
1. You can bring it to us in Springfield (1325 W 1st St)
2. You can drop it off at any of our associate store locations around the Miami Valley.
3. You can ship it to us at:
Kincaid's Is Music
1325 W 1st St
Springfield, OH 45504
*Please do not leave the instrument at the school and expect the band or orchestra director to take care of getting the instrument back to us. They are not responsible for your instrument rental.
For more detailed information, please visit our End of the School Year Guide.
Unfortuantely, you cannot. To update your card information, please call Kincaid's at 937.325.7071 and ask for the billing office.
Imagine a spectrum, with student instruments on one end and professional instruments on the other.
On one end of the spectrum, student instruments are built for durability, as they're being put into the hands (most often) of children who have never put them together, held them, etc. It's awkward, they can be clumsy, and the instrument needs to hold up to these rigors. It's ultimately made to help them answer this question: "Do I want to play this instrument long-term?"
On the other end of the spectrum is the professional instrument. It is built for optimum sound quality and ease of play. This means it may be made of materials that require more care, but it sounds amazing! These are typically played by professionals (go figure!) or people training to become professionals (college music majors, for instance).
Intermediate instruments are instruments that take on many of the main characteristics of a professional instrument without taking on all of them. This is the instrument the average person could play for the remainder of their schooling, or even the rest of their life (those who play in community groups, churches, etc.). It will sound better than the student instrument and have added features that make playing harder music less difficult and more fun.
Every instrument and every type of repair work is different. For details on prices, please follow the pricing link on the Repair page. If you'd like a free estimate before any work is done, we're happy to do that for you. Your instrument will not be repaired until the estimate is approved.
If you're renting your instrument or have purchased an Instrument Protection Plan, your repair is covered at no additional cost to you!
Unfortunately, it depends on the instrument and the type of repair needed - particularly if we have to order parts. Typically speaking, turn-around times are between 7-10 business days.
We do, offer two ways to work around this. First, there is an emergency repair fee of $25 to have the repair completed next day, subject to inspection of the instrument and the emergency need.
Second, we offer loaners to students who are having their rental instrument repaired so they can continue playing while their instrument is in our shop.
Upon completion of your instrument's repair work, you will receive a phone call from one of our sales associates letting you know it is finished and ready to pick up, as well as the final total for the repair work.
If you requested an estimate, you will be called with the estimate prior to any work being done. If you have not let us know of the estimate's approval, your instrument could sit here for a while. The more promptly you respond to estimates, the more promptly we can get your instrument back to you.
Absolutely not. Just bring it in!
We make visits to schools all across Central and Southwest Ohio. If you'd like to find out if we visit your specific school (and even when we make our weekly visit), please call us at (937) 325-7071.
We do! There are a few ways you can get your online order for free:
First, if you live in Central or Southwest Ohio (within our defined territory), you'll see a Free School Shipping option in your cart or at checkout. Put your child's name and school in the notes section in your shopping cart and proceed to checkout and select that option.
Second, if you live outside of Central or Southwest Ohio (or just don't have a child at a local school), you can receive free shipping on all orders over $50!
Lastly, for those in the area, you can select free in-store pickup. Please wait to receive a notification that your order is ready before coming in.
There could be a number of reasons why your child hasn't seen your order delivered to them at school yet.
1. We visit schools once a week. It's possible you placed the order too late the day before we were going to be at your school, so it would arrive 8 days after your order was placed.
2. Calamity days, especially during the winter months, can mean your school was closed the day we were set to deliver it. We will drop it off the next weekly visit your school is in session.
3. Your child may have music class earlier in the day than when our rep arrives. If so, your child may not have received it in class and assumed it wasn't delivered the day he/she expected. It was, just later in the day.
4. Band and orchestra directors are very busy people. It's possible they just haven't remembered to give it to your child yet.
If you are simply making purchases in our online store, you can create an account that will help you save your information for future purchases, see your purchase history, etc. That account is created and run through Shopify, our eCommerce platform. However, it's not necessary to create this account, as you can checkout as a guest.
If you rent an instrument through our Beginning Musician Program or Advancing Musician Program, then you need a different account. Unfortunately, we need to use a different platform (AspDotNetStorefront) in order to offer safe and secure online rentals that integrates with our point-of-sale software. This account allows you to rent an instrument and see your rental payment history. It also allows legacy renters the ability to make rental payments online.
That being said, if any of you are developers and would like to help us integrate our different platforms at a price we can stomach, we'd love to talk to you!
We offer lessons for Brass Instruments (trumpet, trombone, french horn, euphonium & tuba), Woodwinds (flute, clarinet & saxophone), Orchestral Strings (violin, viola & cello), Fretted Instruments (acoustic, electric & bass guitars), drum set, piano, and voice.
The cost of lessons varies by instructor, but tends to be between $15-$20/half-hour, weekly lesson. Most teachers have you pay monthly at the first lesson of a given month. Payment is between you and the instructor.
Please call us or stop in and talk with us. The master schedule is updated minute by minute, so when an available time slot fills, it's filled until that student no longer wants lessons each week at that day & time. If you email us, we can give you up-to-the-moment information, but by the time you see it and respond, things may have changed.
Simply choose an available time slot (ie. 4:30pm on Wednesdays) with the teacher of your choice, and your first lesson will be the next time that slot comes around within the week. Please be prepared to pay for the remainder of the month at that first lesson.
Choose your wishlist to be added